Thursday 24 April 2014

The Birds In Our Lives

Time really does fly. I keep telling myself that I’ll publish an article on my blog every week. I had planned to post an article just after Valentine’s Day but my hands were too full to spare an hour to type something about love. But love is for the birds, isn’t it? Scientists estimate that people fall in love seven times before they get married. Question is, do people still want to get married? Generally, I could say the moral fabric of the society is not as it used to be back in the last 5 decades. Was there friend-zoning in 1950s? Well, I think it was still there, under a different name or no name at all. I’ve heard there is a newer version of friend-zoning called relationship-zoning where you think that “oh, we are just friends” only to be told, “Too bad…, we are already dating…” How weird is that? Here’s some free advice to guys who make it out of the friend zone: Cry (like a man!) and give that Lupita speech. And to those brothers already trapped in complicated relationships, your dreams are still valid. Enough about love, for today.

All of us have only so much energy. There are also too many competing agendas. You see, sometimes you have bigger fish to fry. In the process of dealing with the tilapia first so that you come back to deal with the omena later, you get caught up with angry birds, or flappy bird. 

Whoever programmed flappy bird had a motive of showing very clearly how frustration gets real. The concept revolves around tapping yet an average user will lose 200 times in a row. 

I’m wondering how children born in the days of ‘apps’ for games will ever experience the real games that we played while growing up. Where you actually go out, play, sometimes bend a few rules while playing hide and seek, get in trouble, get some good spanking and learn from it such that next time, you either don’t hide on top of a mango tree, or if you are the daring kind, you learn to cover your tracks. What stories will these kinds have for their grandchildren? Picture this scenario: “Kids, when we were growing up, there used to be this game called candy crush saga. So one day, I got some coins, loaded my android phone with 25MB of data, immersed myself in the google play store and downloaded this game. The aim was to switch and match your way through more than 400 levels in this delicious and addictive puzzle adventure... (Kids start yawning…)”. Boring. Remember at that time, android will be so old a technology that kids will not be able to identify themselves with such archaic technology.

Talking about technology, there are some not-so-good habits I have observed. Is it just me or have you guys observed a certain breed of people who have headphones plugged in their ears. All the time. What do they listen to? They have annoying cousins who will not hesitate to borrow a USB cable to charge their phones. Mostly, it is a problem that affects android phone users. Is it that their phones drain charge so quickly, which obviously puts the blame squarely on the manufacturers, or is it a bad habit. I chose to go with bad habit. I will address this issue comprehensively on a future post.

As I conclude, I’d like to apologize to my avid readers for not posting articles. My absence from the blogosphere has been unintentional, unforeseeable and regrettable. I’m still trying to come to terms with the manner in which February and March came and slipped away unnoticed. Those two months pulled a ‘Malaysian plane’ kind of scenario. Disappeared in thin air without a trace.

These are bad times for our country in terms of internal security threats. To those who subscribe to the school of optimism, bad times can also be called challenging times. About the NZE that exploded outside the Pangani police station, it is unfortunate and  I mourn the loss of the two gallant officers who died in their line of duty.


May I end with an optimistic note? “How many days to the world cup?”

3 comments:

  1. Hehe..nice! I had completely forgotten about the world cup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it starts mid June.. Can't wait

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lukaku jst realised there is player named that in Chelsea hehehehehe nway nyc one

    ReplyDelete